Friday, May 1, 2009

Searching for free hosting - comparison between different website hosts

The quest for a simple webhost proved arduous. I don't have many requirements for a host, just that it's free at first and reliable as far as uptime. While looking for a free webhost, I definitely encountered the good, the bad, and the awful. I finally chose 110mb.com.

The awful

x10hosting - At first glance, it looked like x10hosting was great. It had a lot of features and seemed very professional. But this place is ridiculous as far as downtime. Half the time, when I tried going to my webpage, I couldn't get through. When it did, it seemed ridiculously slow. We're talking about basic html files here, no php, no scripts. 

The bad 

Awardspace - It wasn't too bad at first. I uploaded a webpage, it displayed it as expected. However, for random reasons, certain webpages displayed properly, and others sent me to the default "your page is missing" courtesy of awardspace. The file will be sitting in the directory, but it won't display on the site. 

Black Apple Host - I signed up for their services, but I noticed that they force you to put an ad on your website to recoup costs. If you're okay with that, they might work, but I fled pretty quickly.

Byet Host - I also tried signing up for Byet Host. At the time I tried, they had a buggy sign up script and wouldn't let me sign up for an account. So it was bye bye Byet Host.

Trap 17 - Although they offer free webhosting, they require you to post in the forums every 2 weeks or so to prove that you're still alive. If not, you'll have to stick an ad on your webpage. I didn't want to be bothered with posting in the forums, nor did I fancy the ad requirement. However, a lot of people do like trap17, so if frequent forum posting is not a problem for you, give them a shot.

The good

110mb.com - At first I shyed away from this place because they charge for specific features like FTP or database management. However, after my bad experiences with the other free webhosts, I decided to give 110mb a try. Finally.

It has good uptime, pages render quickly (in contrast to the other hosts which took anywhere from a few seconds to half a minute), so far, so good. If you want more features, you'll have to shell out some cash, but it's a 1-time cost in your lifetime. Until it irks me in some way unbeknownst to me now, I will stick with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment